Top 10 Tips for Healthy Aging
If you are one of those adults who think that it is too late to reinvent yourself, think again. According to Carolyn Worthington, executive director and editor- in-chief of Healthy Aging magazine, it is never too late for a person to start a new hobby, new career or find their passion. An annual health observance created by Worthington, now held each September, is “Healthy Aging Month.”
“Healthy Aging Month” was designed to focus the attention of the nation on the positive aspects of aging. According to Worthington, “Healthy Aging Month” can go a long way in inspiring and providing practical ideas for those 50 and beyond to improve their physical, emotional, mental, financial and social well-being.
So here are 10 Tips for Healthy Aging that you can start this month!
1. Forget age: No matter what your present age is, do not act your age. Instead, picture yourself at an age you feel that you had been your best till now. Many people may think of it as denial, but thinking positively can go a long way in helping you feel better about yourself.
2. Stay positive: Try to stay optimistic in your actions or conversations. The moment you find yourself talking or acting negatively, check yourself immediately and act or talk in a more positive manner.
3. Stay away from negative friends: If you have friends who often complain about everything in life, it is highly recommended that you drop them or maintain your distance from them. Negative people do not look at life in a positive way; hanging around with them will not only depress you, but also prevent you from moving forward in life. Staying away from negative friends and being in the company of happy, energetic and positive people, regardless of their age, can go a long way in helping you stay happier at all times.
4. Walk smartly: If you one of those adults who are walking slowly because you have either become lazy or fear falling, it is important that you take action and start walking energetically like a healthy, vibrant adult. To walk smartly, try taking big strides, put your heel first when walking and wear shoes that are comfortable.
5. Stand up straight: Standing up in a straight and erect position can help a great deal in knocking off a few extra years from your appearance. To do this, try standing in front of the mirror and hold your stomach in and have your back, shoulders and chin up. Practicing this stance regularly will not only help your neck look better, but will also help you gradually stand up straight naturally and help you feel confident and look great. Standing up straight is a great way to help your waistline look trim.
6: Oral health: People who smile more often are usually happier. Since your teeth are usually the first thing to be noticed when you smile; taking care of your teeth will not only help you smile more often, but will also help you take care of your oral health. Maintaining good oral health can prove to be highly beneficial in helping you take care of your overall health to a great extent.
7. Stay busy: If you are lonely and have no friends and family, it is time that you take some positive action immediately. Pick up your phone and call those people that you like or want to get to know better, take a class, invite someone for coffee, lunch, brunch or dinner, and volunteer your time to help others.
8. Love animals: If you have not been a great animal lover, maybe it’s time to get a pet. Dogs are great because you have to walk them. Walking regularly will not only improve your health, but will also help you see how your dog can be a great conversation starter with those you meet along the way. If you don’t have a dog, try visiting an animal shelter in your local area and volunteer. Loving animals and receiving love from them in return is sure to make you thrilled and happy.
9. Keep a check on your health: To stay happy as adults, it is important that you keep a check on your health in a regular manner. Set this month to take the time to go for your annual overall health screenings. Schedule fixed appointments and visit your doctor on time to stay ahead of any health problems.
10. Discover your inner artist: Find the inner artist that is lurking within you and just waiting to be tapped. If music has been your hidden talent and you have always loved playing the piano or some other instrument, try teaching music to young children. If you love painting and are wondering if you could ever paint a scene or portrait in oil, give it a try. Even cooking can be creative and artistic.
As many of you know, Positive Life Decisions is my “retirement” business. As a Certified Life Coach and Healthy Aging Consultant, I can help you make the rest of your life the best of your life. My passion is to help as many people as possible to age in a healthy way through coaching and nutritional products that help with weight loss, energy & performance and healthy aging. As a certified re-career coach, I can help you find a way to age healthy and earn money at the same time.
Contact me at Connie@PositiveLifeDecisions.com or 610-390-1354.
“It’s not how long you live, but how well you live each of the days you have.” ~Connie Challingsworth
“It’s not about living as long as you can with adult diapers, but having a quality of life and living healthier.” ~ Dr. Bill Andrews